Preventing allergic reaction to poison Ivy, poison sumac and poison oak


Poison ivy contact is no fun. you know how unpleasant it can be. And for many kids this summer the risk is high. The United States is home to a number of poisonous plants, including poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak.


Parents can take a number of steps to protect themselves & little ones from poisonous plants:

  • Wear long-sleeved shirts, pants and gloves. Wash any exposed clothing separately to prevent contamination of other clothing.
  • Using barrier creams that contain bentoquatam – a lotion that helps prevent poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac rashes.
  • Clean toys & sport equipments after every use with rubbing alcohol or soap and water. Wear disposable gloves while doing so, as urushiol can remain active on objects for up to five years.
  • Refrain from burning plants if you believe they may be poisonous.

If exposure to poisonous plants occurs, rinse the affected skin immediately with soap and water or poison plant wash. Be sure to thoroughly scrub under the nails. Apply a wet compress or calamine lotion to the skin, but never on broken skin or weeping blisters. Consider taking an antihistamine to help reduce swelling.

Post a comment